Anny has recently got a job in an Australian Regional Town. She is very extroverted and thrives off being social. She is quite anxious about the fact that she knows no one in the town she is moving to. So here are some tips on how to make friends:
- Don’t be afraid to meet new people. Make an effort to introduce yourself in situations where you have the opportunity for interaction with others, such as at the grocery store, at the library, or even online. A simple way to meet new people is by joining a club that interests you, such as board games, sewing, cooking, etc.
- Don’t be afraid of rejection. The worst that will hapeen is you get a ‘no’. You may not connect with every person you talk to. That’s OK! Some friendships are meant to last and develop into lifelong friendships, while others are seasonal.
- Find people who have similar interests. Think about what you like to do and who you want to do it with. For example, do you enjoy reading books? Find a friend that loves to read as well.
- Turn acquaintances into friends. You can turn acquaintances into friends by simply talking to them from time to time, finding out more about their interests, and sharing your thoughts with them.
- Volunteer your time. This is an excellent way to meet new people that are passionate about the same things you are! You’ll find out what they’re interested in, ask them questions, and learn more about their lifestyle.
- Be open-minded. Some people you meet might be different from you, but that doesn’t mean they’re not exciting people. Learn more about what makes them who they are rather than judging them.
- Be open with people about who you are. If someone asks you a question about yourself, answer truthfully. If you don’t want to talk about something, say so. Don’t act like someone else to impress people. You’ll end up with people who like you for the wrong reasons.
- Be friendly. Smiling and saying “hello” when you see a new person is a good way of making friends. If you are in college and your school has an orientation, go to it! That’s where people will be more open about meeting others.
- Give Compliments. (This is my favourite one to use) This can be something as simple as commenting on a new outfit or complimenting someone’s new hairstyle. Without being over the top, it’s great to want to make people smile.
- Ask for their contact information. This can be done after a class, at the end of an online chat session, etc. Sometimes it may feel too soon, but don’t wait forever to ask, or it may never happen.
- Don’t come on too strong if you want to make new friends. You might find yourself smothering someone, getting too attached, or even pushing them away with your overbearing neediness.
- Be open and honest. If you think someone is cool, tell them! Show an interest in who they are and what they like. People love talking about themselves.
Anny had a chat with her new friend and co-host Lachie about tips on how to make friends below: